May 30, 2018 - 01:33 PM
- Reach out to agencies that offer complementary services like SEO or media buying and ask if you can do development work for their clients. Showing the work you did for the two international clients would help. But this is a lot harder if what you do is commodity web/app development. It is easier if you specialize in a particular kind.
- Good old cold calling. Chet Holmes classic The Ultimate Sales Machine has lots of tips for how to do this right and productively. See the summary here
- Go to niche trade shows where these clients are likely to hang out. A friend of mine got Fedex as a client this way. Not the big trade shows where no one will remember who you are. The niche ones. As they say, the riches are in the niches!
- Ask for referrals from your two international clients. Again, Chet (above) has specific tips for systematically getting referrals.
May 31, 2018 - 02:23 PM
As a web & app developer, SEO is a crucial function for marketing your skills/brand and landing new customers. Absent SEO, you will want to show prospective customers that you are the skilled subject matter expert (SME) in your field. Since you are targeting international markets, you may be in luck. International websites and apps need to meet the same UI/UX requirements as western websites/app. You'll also need to be able to show international clients that your web/app can deliver on- performance, localization, security, trust, confidence, and can scale.
You can do so by-
1. Speaking Engagements & Networking Events:
Speaking at web and app developer conferences. Many attendees also have extensive network of clients, customers and partnerships that they are willing to collaborate to get projects delivered for the client. By speaking and networking at these events, you are letting them know that you are the SME and they are likely to send extra work to you. See available conferences at
Of course, you'll need to find relevant international/country conferences to attend.
2. Write & Publish Articles in Web/App Blogs & Forums:
Even is you are not actively doing SEO, writing and publishing articles may bring traffic and potential customers. Make sure to publish web/app articles in web and app development blogs. Suitable publishing platform an include LinkedIn, etc. Again, you'll need to find international equivalent of these platform to publish to.
3. Request Referrals from Other Web/App Devs in Country Web and app developers in the countries you are interested in may not have all the skills and tools to deliver exceptional product/service. You can offer to enhance their ability to deliver a great product by calling on you to fill in the skill gaps that they do not have.
4. Partnerships with Complimentary Services:
Find which services are complementary to your web/app development services and ask them for a partnership. Especially is those services/businesses are upstream from yours. Meaning that these are the services that the client is going to need before they need web/app development.
5. Radio and TV Ads
Radio and TV ads in international markets may be more affordable than in western countries. So buying ads to broadcast your services may be quite effective.
Jun 06, 2018 - 01:02 PM
6. Email Marketing: This does require buying email list or subscribing to an email list provider. Keep in mind that web and app development is a longer cycle or significant capital expense for many businesses depending on they calculate their business expenses.