I thought I’d share something I learned from Russell Brunson’s book Expert Secrets, which I recommend.
It is a way of positioning something in a new and sexy light—finding a way to carve out a little blue pond out of a red ocean, to use the “Blue Ocean” terminology.
To illustrate the 5 hooks he uses an example from the weight loss industry. Here is a direct excerpt from his book:
Let’s look at an example where the new niche is weight loss through ketosis (Health à Weight Loss à Ketosis) to illustrate how you would position it for each of the curiosity hooks.
Image credit: TheHeartySoul.com
- Little-Known, Big Differences This hook shows people something they were not aware of and how knowing it could make all the difference between success and failure.
There’s this little-known thing called ketosis. Hardly anybody is talking about it. But when you learn it and use it, you’ll see a huge difference in your energy levels and how fast you can lose weight.
2. Well Known, Little Understood Here is where you take something everyone THINKS they know about, and show how they are actually sabotaging their success because they are missing the little nuances or details:
Everyone’s talking about low carb diets, right? We all know that refined sugar and carbs are bad for us. But what almost no one understands about low-carb diets is the concept of ketosis. It’s not restricting carbs that helps you lose weight, its getting your body into ketosis. And that can happen even if you are eating carbs—as long as you are drinking ketones.
3. This Changes Everything: With this hook, something new just happened in your sub-market. It’s related to the problem your audience wants to solve, and letting them know that if they aren’t aware of it, they’re at risk of missing out big-time.
Are you trying to stick to a low carb diet, but finding the cravings just too much? Do you start fresh every Monday, fail, then vow to start again with the same old strategy? You need to learn about a new type of ketones that instantly puts your body into ketosis, kills your cravings, and helps you lose weight easily. This changes everything!
4. The Crystal Ball Theory: This angle shows something that’s been done successfully in the past is about to be made obsolete. Your’e persuading them that soon this will become common knowledge, but they can get in now and have early success.
Are you tired of dieting and counting calories, but not seeing the scale budge an ounce? Research is showing that low carb diets are not enough, and staying in a state of ketosis is almost impossible for average people. The diet of the future takes low carb to the next level—you can drink ketones and instantly put your body into ketosis.
5. Revisiting the fundamentals: This hook takes the approach that things are getting way too complicated, advanced or sophisticated for the average person. Your new opportunity, on the other hand, takes things back to basics.
Do you spend hours logging every morsel you eat, every second of exercise, and ounce of water you drink? Diet trends have really gotten out of control lately. It is time to go back to the basics. With the ketosis diet, you only have to do two things. Drink your ketone diet in the morning and again at night, keep your carbs below 20g per day, and you’re good to go.