We are a new company with an innovative product that is relatively expensive ($250) and just started selling on Amazon, so we can borrow their trust and credibility. How do we get more traffic to our listings?
While Amazon offers a large base of potential customers and product discoverability, listing and selling on Amazon is no different than listing and selling on Craigslist or Etsy in the sense that the product or brand owner is still responsible for marketing, creating demand and driving traffic to the listings on Amazon just like you would if you listed on the other 2 listing services.
The good news is that unlike the other 2 listing services, Amazon cares a lot about buyers and selling things to buyers. For that reason, Amazon does offer SEO tools to allow the sellers to effectively market to and to be easily discovered on
Amazon.com. You will still need to invest time and expertise to do SEO or to use Amazon parlance - Amazon Listing Optimization (ALO) for your brand and products. It is important to keep in mind that Amazon’s A9 is the search engine that powers search on
Here’s how to do it-
4 very important things to keep in mind:
Amazon lists a lot of products both native to Amazon as well as FBA
Structured Data: Your product listing on Amazon can only surface if they contain exactly the same search terms the visitor is using in the search bar
Similar to Google SEO, your keywords have to be relevant to your product(s)
Unlike Google though, Amazon parses keywords into 2 groups -
Primary keywords: that show up in product descriptions or product title
Hidden Keywords: that are part of the internal intelligence used to respond to search queries
Lesson 1: Just like you would select your Google SEO keywords using search engine tools, you also want to do the same with ALO tools in order to optimize search results for your product. Fortunately, Amazon does not care whether you are using the same title and description terms as your competitor.
Note: The planning and implementation of Amazon Marketing Service (AMS) & ALO is rather involved and require some technical expertise. To keep my response short and sweet, I’m only going to provide just the highlights. If you need details on the highlights, please reach out to me. I’ll also list some tools that will be very useful for you at the end of my response.
Here are the highlights. To effectively drive traffic to your product listings you’ll need to implement the following Amazon Marketing Service-
Amazon Listing Optimization
Amazon Marketing Services
Amazon Sponsored Product Placement or PPC Ads
Using Keywords in Amazon Listing Optimization: Now that your keywords are selected. Start planning how to implement it by
1. Product Title - 500 characters. Use them all. The more, the better
2. Product Images - 9 images but no less than 5. Again, you want to use all the opportunities to show your product(s). Use images with at least 1000 pixels or larger. Makes zooming in better.
3. Key Product Features - Amazon prefers you use bullet points. Use it to highlight both features and benefits of your product(s)
4. Product Listing Description - Amazon allows 2000 characters for product description. Elaborate on more features, benefits, use cases, etc.
5. Amazon Product Reviews - Reviews are hard to get as a new brand/product and given Amazon’s recent changes in gaming the review system. Try following with each customer after the purchase to ask them for review. Include the link to your product page in the email.
6. Amazon Product Rating - Same as review, ask the recent customer to link and give you rating on the product and experience
Using Amazon Marketing Services: This is one of the excellent tools offered by Amazon that most other listing services do not provide. There’s a fee but Amazon does the heavy lifting for you in reaching potential customers. See
Amazon Marketing Services
Amazon Sponsored Product Placement (PPC): This tool allows you to create ads that Amazon then inserts in the list of search results based on your product(s) keywords.. See
Advertise Your Products
*All said, this strategy is how you drive more traffic to your listings on Amazon.