Jun 29, 2017 - 07:14 PM
This is a very broad question but below are some quick ideas: Some considerations on which method would be best for your product are:
- Is it a consumer (B2C) or business (B2B) product
- Can it be sold on a 'self serve' basis on your website or do you need high touch sales people to make calls and close deals?
1. Paid Acquisition: Depending on how large a budget you have, you can do some paid acquisition. The two biggest channels are Facebook ads and Google Ads. If you are still in the customer development phase it is also the fastest way to determine if there is a demand for your product. Spend $10 or $20 a day on Facebook ads and direct traffic to a landing page so see what kind of response you get.
2. Public Relations: Trying to get written up in media outlets like GeekWire, TechCrunch, Inc magazine and others. Dunja Lazic wrote the best piece I've ever seen on this topic.
3. SEO (Search Engine Optimization): This is a long term play and it usually takes a few months to see results but the idea is to get your site to rank for the most relevant keywords for your market so that when people search for this keyword, your site is among the results listed by Google, Bing and other search engines. Here are some SEO learning resources.
Lastly here is a good book (How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Growth) for general ways to get traction for startups, written by none other than Gabriel Wienberg, the founder of the DuckDuckGo search engine. He started off with 50 queries per day in 2008 and now gets over 10 million! You could start by reading these two essays he wrote:
Jul 05, 2017 - 11:47 PM
1) Start blogging and tweeting and cultivate your own followers. As you rise in the community you work in and become recognized as an expert, you'll be able to wield your own influence.
2) Reach out to influencers relevant to your product. They can be found all around the net but Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn among other locations are a few great places to find them.
3) Find a partner. Perhaps you or your product can help a bigger partner flourish in exchange for promotion of your product.
Jul 11, 2017 - 02:28 PM